- The award is intended to honor members of the Society who have given outstanding service to promote the welfare of the organization.
- The recipient may be honored for work in the areas of leadership, governance, development of publications, special projects, financial contributions, or other service recognized as distinguished by the Council.
- The award will be advertised yearly, but Council reserves the right to make no award in any year.
- Members of the Society should submit a letter describing the distinguished work of the member being nominated.
- The Honorific Award Committee will review all nominations and recommend a recipient to Council for approval.
- The award will be presented by the President of the Society at the Society’s Annual Meeting.
- All applications must be submitted on-line.
Previous Recipients (partial listing)
2005 – Trey Sunderland, MD – National Institute of Mental Health
2006 – Dennis S. Charney, MD – Mount Sinai School of Medicine
2007 – Margaret Peterson, MBA – Society of Biological Psychiatry
2008 – Joel E. Kleinman, MD, PhD – National Institute of Mental Health
2009 – Peter Roy-Byrne, MD – University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle
2010 – Elliott Richelson, MD – Mayo Clinic
2011 – John Krystal, MD – Yale University
2012 – J. John Mann, MD – Columbia University
2013 – Daniel S. Pine, MD – National Institute of Mental Health
2014 – Linda Carpenter, MD – Butler Hospital/Brown University
2015 – Scott L. Rauch, MD – McLean Hospital
2016 – Paul E. Holtzheimer, III, MD – Dartmouth and Kristina M. Deligiannidis, MD – University of Massachusetts
2017 – Stephen Strakowski, MD – Dell Medical School, University of Texas Austin
2018 – Ned Kalin, MD –University of Wisconsin
Society of Biological Psychiatry